She's here!
My mom came in to visit and be available for the big kids when Eleanore was born, she spent most of May here, from the 2nd to the 21st, which was a huge blessing because Greg was suppose to be gone most of that time with classes and training for work. But on the 2nd I had a very convincing false labor, prompting Greg to stay home, making him miss an entire week of class, subsequently making it so I had both my mom and Greg available during a week I was planning on being alone.
The following week I had another false labor. All the adults were tired and anxious for the baby to come! The kids kept seeing the suitcase and car seat come out and go back away, they were anxious too, and didn't understand why I didn't just "go get her out!"
I went a few days past my due date, put my mom on an airplane back home, had an ultrasound where the tech reassured us she had plenty of everything she needed to stay in, but that the baby was surely over 8 pounds, probably close to 9, and did a stress test that showed I was having regular contractions. Hooray. All that was on Saturday.
Sunday morning I felt very strongly that I needed to stay at home, even though labor hadn't really kicked up or anything. One concern my midwives had was that maybe my labor hadn't started because the baby wasn't in the correct position yet. I had been working on moving her for weeks, and it was starting to bother me. Not really knowing what to do with myself but knowing that I needed time at home (Greg was scheduled to start yet ANOTHER class the next day, which is hard to explain, but it makes his schedule very tight and he is essentially not home at all for the weeks he is in class), I decided to weed pretty much the entire front yard, which isn't a small task, but it was doable with breaks. Then, I sent Greg to Home Depot with the kids for a while. I just needed to breathe and relax. I looked up one last stretch and decided not to worry about what position the baby was in, but trust that when she was ready to be born, she would move where she needed to be.
I prayed for peace.
I took a shower, and started labor.
Greg got home, we got the kids down for a nap, and I let him know I was in labor. I napped for a short time and labor got more intense. We debated the hospital, a friend who had agreed to watch the kids called for something entirely unrelated, after we said goodbye, Greg called her 10 minutes later and asked her to come be with the kids while his parents made their way to our house so we could head to the hospital. We left for the hospital about 3, got there around 4, and in the most peaceful and amazing way imaginable, dear Eleanore Louise was born at 4:59.
I made it clear to the registration people in the ER that I was in labor with my 4th baby, and instead of strolling as if on a nature hike, the hustled me upstairs right away. Our midwife had a room ready with basically only natural lighting and after settling into the bed and refusing an iv, I just worked on having a baby. unlike other births where I wanted lots of encouragement, I kept asking people not to talk to me and "shhing" Greg when he would ask if I needed anything.
The kids met her the next day. The girls, especially Nora, seem to have a knack for trying to settle her down and soothe her. Ben exclaimed immediately that he LOVES her and her little toes and little hands and little ears. He was thrilled to hold her and kiss her. They all enjoy her, even though she is taking more work for everyone and is another person to share attention with. Having Dad home for another week, especially when the weather was warm and our pool is open, helped ease the pain of a new sibling.
Nell seems to be the name that sticks. She is a sweetie. Loves cuddles. Smiles biggest for Dad. Seems to enjoy when Amelia is crying. Does well through the night, though I am working hard to not take that for granted and to not assume it will always be that way. She is loved.
3 comments:
YAY! Congratulations! I am so glad it all went well and your baby girl is here. I love her name. What a sweet story. I enjoy your blog! Hope you guys stop by again this year!
And soon she will have 'her' box. As I have so much to send this time round I ended up breaking the 'package' into packages. You will have them soon. I promise. Love you and all the kiddos. So proud of you as a mom and you and Greg as the Godly parents you are. I'm so excited to meet her!
Honey,
I didn't even know you were still penning on this blog and by happen-chance I looked in and there you were.
We love you all dearly and have a wonderful anniversary this coming Sunday - Dad
Post a Comment