Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ten on Thursday

1) Conversation with Greg:
Greg: "You're lucky I didn't join the military or something."
Me: "Yeah. You're lucky I'm not living in a bus somewhere."
Greg: "hmmmm. Yeah."

2) The difference between Elmhurst College and North Idaho College-
a. The people are more focussed on if you are qualified enough to "get the job" and base all of their judgments of you on whether or not you are competition for their job.
b. The professors at NIC say "I know it sounds cheesy but I have to say it. If you miss school you miss out." The professors at EC say "A student who is not in the classroom does not have the opportunity to learn from me."

3) I have class every morning at 8:00. So far I've done pretty well, but it means that I get up at 6:30. It's much easier to do here though because I am able to fall asleep when I go to bed instead of listening to the guys above me playing halo, the guys below listening to Marley, and the guys next to me playing Guitar Hero.

4) My schedule Mondays and Wednesdays is 8-9:05 Spanish, 10:30-11:35 Literature, 1-2:30 Business Communications. Tuesday and Thursday it is 8-9:30 Christian Ethics in Today's Society, and Friday is the same as Monday and Wednesday minus the Communications class.

5) Greg took me to Olive Garden the first night of school (It was Monday that it dawned on me that I could be going to Gonzaga on close to a full ride and not be living in someone's basement in Elmhurst, IL). I had gotten a to go box but we decided to order some chocolate gellato anyway. Then when we were full after two bites I convinced Greg that since we paid for it we really needed to eat it all. I almost threw up, and then when I went to bed that night I still had so much sugar in me that I twitched violently for a good half hour. I am likely to never have gellato at Olive Garden again.

6) There are a lot of Cubs fans at Elmhurst. I didn't really think that I cared about teams until I felt horribly out numbered and realized that Greg is right about Cubs fans being morons. I need to get myself a Sox t-shirt.

7) I needed a lunch box. Greg provided me one......a Blackhawks one that the Zarko's had had for a while. I was told to clean it up and carry it with pride. I can't say that it's with pride that I carry it, but I do carry it.

8) I still don't have the new clips for my sports rack which is proving to really suck a lot because I can't find my car in the parking lot. It is the only brilliant metallic silver Subaru in the parking lot, but it is kind of short and hard for me to see behind other cars. I fixed the back door so I can open it now, I just can't lock it (shhhhhhh). And I had the wheels aligned so I can now drive without leaving the road. All that is left to do is fixing the oil pan, which I decided is not as big of a problem as the kind men at the shop tried to convince me it was.

9) Peirce (the oldest twin I watch) and I practice words while I push him and his brother on the swing at the park. It's pretty sweet because I get them going in unison so I am pushing one at a time with opposite arms so that my arms both get tired at the same time. While they swing I ask them to say different words. Conner doesn't try that hard but Peirce just spews them out like nothing. He doesn't always pronounce them perfectly but we have some tough ones like home and snack down pat.

10) My Spanish professor has a lot of the same mannerisms as Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite. It makes me want to laugh sometimes but I hold it in because he kind of scares me a little bit. I really hope I don't flunk that class.

No comments: