Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thankful Thursday

This week I am thankful for many things.

Valentine's day was last week, and while we decided that in the interest of saving money we wouldn't do anything special this year, I baked a cake for us to share earlier in the week. And since Greg worked on Valentine's Day, when he came home on Thursday morning he brought me some beautiful lilies. He was excited because apparently there are huge sales on flowers the day after Valentine's Day. Just another reason to celebrate all major holidays the day after they are celebrated by the rest of the world. :)
The lilies smell so wonderful, it is great to be working on projects in the dining room right now, it smells so much like Spring!



Greg's birthday was on Saturday. I am very thankful for his life. He is 26 now, which seems so much older than 25 for some reason. I baked him a chocolate cake, that we took to share with his family for his birthday. It was a little funny that his brother and sister planned a double date on the night of his birthday, but it gave him some time with his parents that he was grateful for...and we got to eat Salmon, which we couldn't have done if we had to cook for his siblings! Greg is a great dad and an awesome husband, I am so thankful that I am able to call him mine.


Greg was a little concerned that I was experimenting with his birthday cake when he saw I was adding beets to the batter, but after I promised him I would bake a new cake if he didn't like what I made he said he would give it a try. Needless to say, I didn't need to bake a new cake. He LOVED the cake, and I think I found our new favorite chocolate cake recipe!
Here is the recipe I used.



Our new night time ritual includes at least 15 minutes of this new game. We are thankful that we are all healthy and able to have such fun together as a family.




I am very thankful for these shoes. They are actually probably one of the best gifts that Ben received. Besides being super stylish (which Ben really cares about), they were awesome for him to learn to walk in. He has worn out the bottom of one shoe and the top of another, because of the funky way that he crawls. He still wears them a lot, but since he is wanting to walk outside more and more we are phasing him into hard soled shoes now. We are going to miss his Chucks.


I do believe that I am hitting a little bit of the nesting that comes before a baby...and I know it's only due to get worse. In the last week I have almost finished a quilt top that I started about five years ago (go me!), made a skirt, and made a pillow from scraps left over from a baby quilt I made for my friend Audrey. Plus, I am suddenly very aware of every little mess in the house and have the urge to purge and organize everything. It makes me sleepy.

Apparently since Greg is helping me remember to post weekly he has been reading more of what I have been writing.
Quote of the week:
Greg: "That was funny wasn't it? Is it blog worthy?"



2 comments:

K-Gibs said...

I'll send him his first hard soled convies in Nora's baby package- When are you due again? I could sift through the blog entries, but I'd much rather talk to you- skype date soon?

Betsy said...

Definitely Skype soon! I'm due May 7th. I meant to tell you that we don't have the stinky cheese man, just toot and puddle, which makes me cry every time I read it!