Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thankful Thursday

 This week I am thankful for our YMCA membership, because without it I would be completely insane! Greg has been working a lot of extra shifts so that he will have time off later for both of his brothers weddings this summer, and he has been busy with other activities, so he is not home much. When he trades for another shift it means that he works for 48 hours straight, so he is gone from 5 one morning and gets home around 8 two mornings later. This particular time he had two of those shifts in a row. It's tough, but it makes me grateful that he doesn't have to travel for work like some people do, and that we aren't a military family.  
So. since Nora is just barely old enough to go to the babysitting provided at the "Y", I have been able to get out with the kids, but also have a break just long enough to "work out" (that sounds so dumb), which has been nice because it's been incredibly warm here and I wouldn't have wanted to have Nora outside that long in a stroller so I could walk.

It was obvious that Nora could both lie flat without losing her last two meals and that she needed a more quiet and restful place to sleep despite the fact that I have temporarily been a single parent. I braced myself and got her crib set up and explained to Ben that we needed to be quiet. Ben wasn't quiet, but it only took one rough day for her to adjust and figure out how to sleep on her own. I'm not huge on letting babies cry forever, so I didn't let Nora do that. Ben was so much rougher that I was shocked at how quickly Nora figured out sleeping is fun.

Otherwise, as you can see from the photo below, we have been fairing well without Greg around. I mean, Ben teething and Nora deciding NOT to sleep for an entire day hasn't been tough at all.

"I'm in a glass case of emotion!"
 I wanted to share some pictures of "the garden" that I have going right now. I am proud of it primarily because I have managed it with the kiddos and Nora being born when things were ready to plant. And also because the squash is doing the best I've had since I moved to Illinois. pathetic
Notice them growing in the pots in the rear? They are already flowering and look just about ready to set fruit. My fingers are crossed.

This little guy was transplanted by a bird from the pot it was in. I give it kudos for surviving, but also for thriving where he was planted. I hope he does well, since he has less than ideal conditions. What a lesson we can all learn from him!


It's not much, but it's
chugging along despite the small amount of sun it receives. 
 The healthiest tomato plants so far are the special heirlooms that Greg bought me for Mother's Day....of course, I gave them the best location and the most care. :) 

And finally, my son drumming on a tuna fish can. He loves music, singing, and dancing so much! He dances to any tune and has recently really taken to spinning around and swaying along with his bouncing and his little jig that he does. Don't you just love his singing voice?


No comments: