Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Ten on Tuesday

1) Yep. Ben and Nora had whooping cough. It was pretty much my worst fear before, but now that we've been through it, I don't think it's that bad. Honestly, we've had much worse illnesses. But I feel blessed, because I do know that it can be dangerous and that the kids just handled it well.

2) Still stir crazy and desperately searching the internet for free places for the kids to play during the winter. Haven't found any, so while the kids are entirely bored of every indoor activity, I dream of opening a coffee shop like Starbucks, but with a big kids play area attached that is free for all kids of beverage purchasing parents. Like McDonald's, but more hip and much more sanitary. No crack needles in this play place.

3) Nothing is as cool as when Greg brings his fire gear home. It does not matter what is going on, all the kids gravitate to it and are consumed for hours.

4) Song of the week.


5) Ben has been reading a little bit! He and Nora have both known their letter sounds for such a long time, and while Nora definitely isn't ready to read yet, Ben has started putting sounds together. We've tried a few different approaches, and finally found one that he is liking. The Reading Lesson program is working well for him because it jumps right into reading. Starting with basic sounds and introducing too many rules without being able to read right away was frustrating him. This works a lot better. Today I offered him an M&M for each word he read on his own and suddenly he was a master reader!

6) Amelia is doing well with the whole potty thing. Whoop whoop! I don't know how we lucked out on that one, but (knock on wood) it looks like we did.

7) We have an ultrasound appointment scheduled for next week, a little later than usual, but still okay, especially considering we were contemplating not even getting one. Right now we can't decide whether we will find out the gender or not.

8) It's been about -30 consistently, with the wind chill, so while we huddle together under blankets, I've been flipping through seed catalogs and dreaming of summer. Oh SUMMER! I am planning on growing more flowers around my vegetable garden this year. So much work went into breaking the sod last year that I wasn't able to grow as much as I'd like, but this year I would like to surround the entire vegetable garden with a row of flowers.

9) I also want to grow Paw Paw trees. I've never eaten paw paws, but they are native here, and supposedly taste like tropical fruit. They don't last long, so they aren't sold commercially, which is why we don't see them around anymore. I thought that they were just a made up tree, but they really are real, and I've even found them in catalogs.

10) The kids and I have been reading through, among other books, the Little House series. It is so interesting what I remember and what I totally forgot about. I wonder if it just didn't make sense to me when I read it before, so I didn't remember it, or if it just didn't interest me in the same way. Either way, it is fun to read with the kids and hear later what they picked up on. We started the documentary Unbranded, on Netflix, not knowing if it would keep the kids interest. They were completely consumed and have been playing "cowboy" since. I would recommend the show, even if to show/remember a different perspective. There are a few bad words for kids, but I think they glazed past my kids.

No comments: