Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy New Year

When you take a while between posts, you end up with some pretty random seeming stories to update with. I guess that's what life is though....a bunch of random stories. :)


This is the couch that I slept on in the Zarko's basement when I first moved to Illinois. It's a pull-out, so by nature it weighs a lot. When Greg moved in here, he took the couch with him because his parents had decided to take a much nicer couch that Greg had already found himself. So we (we= several able bodied men) wrangled the couch into the upstairs-corner condo unit.

The couch was terribly uncomfortable, but we were content to have a place to sit. Then we bought a new-used couch and found that two full sized couches in our living room was doable, but tight. Sooooo, a few months of living that way and facing the prospect of trying to fit our tree in our over full living room prompted me to get rid of the couch. Thank you Craigslist....We were supposed to get $10 for moving the couch in our car, but both Greg and I were so happy that we were able to get rid of the couch and we only needed the help of 3 other people that we considered it an act of charity and took off running.

Of course, being sentimental fools, both of us had a sudden feeling of loss at the realization that we had given away our first couch, the first place I lived when I moved here, and all of the nights spent on that couch when I would spend the night at the Zarko's. It's a wonder we throw anything away.

This is a really poor picture taken of an extremely offensive Christmas lights display on someone's house close to here. My brother John and I used to drive around and "judge" the Christmas lights and the first time I saw this house, after regaining control of the car, I burst out laughing thinking of what John would say. The house had lights everywhere, had literally 30 illuminated nutcrackers, several animated winter scenes, different colored lights, light up snowflakes on the roof, and so much more.

It was really cold, and we were in a hurry, so this is the best picture that I got. I laughed as we drove by the house the other day because I noticed that they were one of the first houses to take down their lights.

This is our tree. :) After buying the tree, I was determined not to buy anything to decorate it. So I glued ribbon bows onto pine cones, found some cool stuff to hang on the tree, and tied ribbon on cookie cutters to act as ornaments. We used a blanket for the tree skirt and my friend Stephanie had picked up some ornaments on clearance last year for us, so it actually looked great. I really love the way it turned out. Greg was skeptical at first, but he really liked how it came together. We checked out the clearance stuff this year and got a tree skirt for $2.00 so I think we are set now!


The lighting isn't great in this photo (again, in a hurry) but you can see what my belly was looking like before Christmas. It's time for a new picture though, as I think that I've managed to get even more round since then. It's amazing how everything keeps stretching and growing.

We did switch doctors and are much happier with where we are now. The environment is much more calm and we feel like they are more focused on what our concerns our and serving our needs. It makes it worth the extra drive.

Every so often it feels like the baby will be here in no time at all, and then it feels like we have a while again. I am working hard to just "be" where we are at right now and not have an anxious heart. As we do get closer though, I feel like I am about to be given the most awesome present ever and I can't wait to open it!

Greg starts school again this week, so we are both enjoying the last few days of relaxation. He is excited for his classes, philosophy and sociology, and I am excited for him to be studying while I have to work from home. It will be interesting to see how the new schedule works outs, since I am no longer leaving for work with the kids!

No comments: